ABOUT THE VARIAN YOUNG INVESTIGATOR AWARD AT ENC
To honor the physicist, inventor and entrepreneur, Euromar and ICMRBS set up, for several years, the Russell Varian Prize. A group of anonymous donors have revived this award as the Varian Young Investigator Award and it will now be presented biennially at the ENC in odd-numbered years (2019, 2021, etc.) The Award will be presented and administered via ENC in the odd-numbered years and presented and administered via Euromar in the even-numbered years (2020, 2022, etc.) The recipient will receive a prize of $5,000.
About Russell Varian
- After training with Philo Farnsworth Russell Varian, in 1937, invented the Klystron, a novel device for the generation of microwave radiation.
- Being light enough to be carried in aircraft, the Klystron enabled all-weather radar and played a vital role in WW-II at the battle of Britain and the Battle of the Atlantic.
- In 1948, Russell and his brother, Sigurd, founded Varian Associates, a pioneering high-tech company in what became Silicon Valley.
- Besides being a brilliant innovator, Russel Varian was a socialist-leaning libertarian, a member of the ACLU and the Sierra Club. He died in 1959 while scouting Alaska for the setting for a new National Park
CALL FOR 2019 NOMINATIONS - Deadline is January 1, 2019
The Varian Young Investigator Award at ENC is intended to recognize a single investigator, for his/her achievements in any area of magnetic resonance. The award is to be granted to people in the first 12 years after their Ph.D. This is a general guideline and exceptions will be considered. The Varian Young Investigator Award will be presented at the ENC in odd-numbered years (2019, 2021, etc.)
NOMINATIONS TO INCLUDE:
- Name of nominee, with nominee's affiliation, phone, and e-mail
- Name of nominator, address, phone, and e-mail
- A brief (no more than 200 words) description of the work that forms the basis of the nomination
- A list of up to five relevant publications.
The deadline for nominations will be January 1 of the award year; self-nominations will not be accepted, but nominations by the selection committee (SC) members are welcomed. No previous winner of a Varian themed award will be considered.
Decisions of the SC will be by a majority of those voting, with the Chair having a casting vote in the event of a tie.
SUBMIT NOMINATIONS BY JANUARY 1, 2019 TO:
ENC - Varian Young Investigator Award at ENC
2019 Galisteo Street, Bldg i-1
Santa Fe, NM 87505 (USA)