The ENC Ritchey Travel Award is established to honor William M. Ritchey, who was Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Macromolecular Science at Case Western Reserve University. William Ritchey founded the ENC in 1960. The award is fully funded with contributions from Professor Ritchey’s former students. The areas of the Award are to reflect Prof. Ritchey’s broad interests in the development and application of NMR to chemical and material sciences.
Ritchey Award Endowment Fund
It was Professor Ritchey's desire to convert remaining money in the Award fund to an endowment. ENC has set up a separate account with Vanguard to manage these funds and to assure the funds be used only for the purpose of the annual Ritchey award. ENC is a 501 c 3 non-profit corporation. As such, donations to ENC are tax deductible as prescribed by the IRS. The ENC tax ID number is 11-2578829. Donors should consult their personal accountant for details. Checks may be payable to: ENC, 2019 Galisteo St, Bldg i-1, Santa Fe, NM 87505.
The amount of the annual Award is $1,000 to be used for travel to the ENC. Conference attendance and willingness to present an oral presentation is required. The award will not be granted to someone who is not able to attend the conference.
- Applicant must be within advanced stage of the Ph.D.
- Applicant must be an active, full-time graduate student (at the time of the ENC conference).
- The research and submitted abstract of the applicant should show work with significant involvement in the development and applications of advanced NMR techniques or methods.
- Applicant must attend the ENC conference to accept the award and present talk.
- Complete the Online Ritchey Award Application (includes the upload of a copy of applicant's submitted abstract)
- Applicant statement. Brief (not to exceed one page) statement of current research focus and career goals. This document is requested upload in the online application.
- Two letters of support* (one from primary research advisor)
*Both letters of support to be sent to ENC office by January 12. Letter filename should contain the applicant's name and may be sent by email to email@example.com or by fax to +1 (505) 989-1073.
The deadline for receipt of all materials to complete a dossier (online application and letters of support) is January 12. Late submissions cannot be considered. Decision will be made by February 15.
Past Recipients of the Ritchey Award
- 2017:Laetitia Rouger, Universite de Nantes
- 2016 Manman Lu, University of Delaware
- 2015 Laura Castanar Acedo, Universitat Autonome de Barcelona
- 2014 Hayley Newton, University of Nottingham, UK
- 2013 Loren Andreas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2012 Ishita Sangupta, Ohio State University
- 2011 Kazutoshi Yamamoto, University of Michigan
- 2010 Elizabeth Jenista, Duke University